Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Silver Star Huckleberry Picking 9/11/10

Once again I took a trip to one on my favorite areas, Silver Star Mt. This time the objective was to pick some huckleberries and try out my new huckleberry rake. I was a little concerned I wouldn’t find any because I had gone picking a couple of weeks earlier and found very few. My concern grew as I progressed up the trail and saw that all the huckleberry bushes were barren.

My luck changed when I got to a historical mother lode area I knew from past seasons. Even though the patch of berries was waning due to the weather getting colder, it once again produced many berries. And the rake? Let me tell you, I LOVE IT!! It made picking the berries many times faster.

While I was rustling around in the bushes, I heard a man yell, “Hey bear!” Apparently he thought the rustling sound around the corner in the huckleberry bushes might be a bear. I briefly considered growling and huffing, then thought better of it and announced my presence. He was right to be concerned because, as bears are well known to feast upon huckleberries.

After about an hour of picking berries, my back was tired so I decided to head back, taking a secret route on the back side of Pyramid Rock. This is an area where I had seen the biggest huckleberries in my life and loads of them. Sadly, when I got there, there were none to be found.

Oh well. I had plenty already. Since it was such a beautiful day, instead of simply hiking past Pyramid Rock like I had done every other time I was there, I bushwhacked up to the top of it. It was obvious very few people make this scramble. The view was great and well worth the effort.

Here is the link to the pictures on my Flickr site:

No comments:

Post a Comment